Trends in Fitness – The Evolution of Modern Fitness

previewimage1 Trends in Fitness   The Evolution of Modern Fitness

The Evolution of Modern Fitness Infographic (Click for full size)

Much like the fashion trends that change from season to season in the pages of Vogue and Elle magazine, fitness has evolved and gone in many different directions over the years.  Media has played a huge role in what the fitness industry has brought to the market and how people perceive fitness as a whole.  What we look like, how we exercise and the fitness club where we exercise became the next fashion accessory and status symbol. Trends came in the form of fitness attire, exercise workouts, home gym equipment, celebrity personal trainers and reality weight loss television shows (like “The Biggest Loser”).  Media has become the engine behind trends in fitness and has spurred the growth of an industry that is now represented by 133,500 club locations around the world and a revenue of $71 billion in 2010 (2011 IHRSA Global Report).

The greatest contributor to these changing fitness trends has traditionally been the television.  Although the internet has become an integral part of the day-to-day lives of the newest generation of trend mongers (Generation Z; born 1995-present), television is the gateway to evolving generations across the board … changing their perceptions about fitness and exercise and dictating how their money is being spent (how they should look, how they should feel, how to accomplish these results).  “The Evolution of Modern Fitness (as portrayed by the media)” highlights milestones through the ages that have brought us to the fitness and exercise trends of the twenty-first century including:

• Superman (the original “Man of Steel”)
  • Vic Tanny Health Clubs (endorsed by Cher, Farrah Fawcett and Raquel Welch)
  • The Jack Lalanne Show (pioneering “home fitness” targeted for women)
  • “Pumping Iron” with Arnold Schwartzenegger and Lou Ferrigno (an inside look at the world of bodybuilding)
  • Jane Fonda’s Workout (from Academy Award winner to exercise guru)
  • “Physical” by Olivia Newton-John (Grammy award winning video with muscle-bound men, leotards and headbands)
  • “Hans and Frans are going to PUMP … YOU UP!” (Saturday Night Live spoof of Arnold Schwartzenegger and “Pumping Iron”)
  • “Sweatin’ to the Oldies” with Richard Simmons (making fitness fun and motivating and helping millions lose weight and take control of their fitness destiny)
  • Thighmaster by Suzanne Somers
  • Zumba (Latin-inspired, calorie- burning dance fitness-party)
  • The Biggest Loser (incredible weight loss stories and lifestyle transformations with the help of Bob Harper and Jillian Michaels)
  • Nintendo Wii Fit (taking home fitness to the next level where your body becomes a “human joystick”)
  • The Shake Weight (“strong, sexy, sculpted arms and shoulders … fast!”)
  • Brazil Butt Lift (“The Supermodel’s Secret to a Perfect Butt”)

Although fitness and exercise are not as fashionable as UGGs or an Apple iPhone 4s, media has certainly helped drive awareness in positive and motivating ways.  It is a welcome message versus the frightening statistics about obesity, coronary heart disease, cancer and other preventable disease that may deter people from seeking out a fitness and exercise option.

The fitness marketing message is a good one … fun (sometimes funny), motivating, feeling good and looking fabulous!

Click Image to Download Printable File

EMFinfo Trends in Fitness   The Evolution of Modern Fitness

Copy Code to Embed on Your Site

Comments

1. Anna says:

I enjoyed reading this!

1. Tolga says:

try doing this then running for about 20-30 mins. it doesn’t even have to be hard running, just enough to get a good sweat going. if u do that after exercises like this then u will be living with some lean cut abs a lot quicker. but if u hate running then its all good no worries. but i did that every other day and in about a month my abs were hard as rock.

2. Nodira says:

I dont know what to say. This blog is fantastic. Thats not really a really huge statement, but its all I could come up with after reading this. You know so much about this subject. So much so that you made me want to learn more about fitness and exercise. Your blog is my stepping stone, my friend. Thanks!

3. Adryeli says:

This design is stellar! You most certainly know how to keep a reader entertained. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost HaHa!) Great job. I really loved what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it. Too cool!

4. Tehreem says:

Excellent read, I simply passed this onto a colleague who was doing to a small degree research on that. And hubby actually bought me lunch as a result of I came across it for him smile so well then , ill rephrase that: thank you for lunch!

5. Teresa says:

I know I need to vary my fitness rotuine over time to keep it effective, but how do I do this for maximum results? Am I simply increasing reps, adding weight, or increasing cardio time, or are there more advanced types of exercise I should gravitate toward?

6. John says:

I was ready to be very skeptical of the Kinect and motion tracking in general (concerned about lag and accuracy). After playing this for 45 minutes this morning, I was very happy with it. I have used EA Sports Active and More Workouts on the Wii for the past year and have gotten in much better shape with it!

7. Koy says:

It’s like you read my mind! You seem to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you can do with a few pics to drive the message home a little bit, but other than that, this is fantastic blog. An excellent read. I’ll certainly be back.

8. Chy says:

Not sure what you’re trying to say. It’s a workout for intermediate to advanced individuals looking to train abs twice a week or so. It’s not meant to be impossibly difficult, which in my opinion wouldn’t really benefit many people anyways. If you can clarify your point I could reply a little better.

9. Rudi says:

That my friend is the Tower 200. Body By Jake. It’s a prttey awesome piece of equipment in my opinion. Helps to fill in the gaps that dumbbells and barbells can’t fill. A little expensive but much better than trying to rig up a dozen resistance bands yourself. I will be doing a review on it and some workouts utilizing it in the near future.

10. ghdflghkdfs says:

An impressive share! I’ve just forwarded this onto a coworker who has been doing a little research on this. And he in fact ordered me dinner simply because I found it for him… lol. So let me reword this…. Thank YOU for the meal!! But yeah, thanks for spending the time to discuss this topic here on your internet site.

11. [...] their offering to the next level, the website today announces an exciting infographic which provides a visual journey into the evolution of modern fitness [...]

12. [...] their offering to the next level, the website today announces an exciting infographic which provides a visual journey into the evolution of modern fitness [...]